Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Extreme Cheapskates

Photo Courtesy of: www.youtube.com
Some of you may have heard, or if you are reading this after the fact, seen our episode of Extreme Cheapskates. We filmed this past summer while I (Angel) was pregnant. It was always on my bucket list to do something on TV just once in my life. It was really fun and interesting to see this side of TV...


As someone who doesn't watch much TV (other than PBS), I didn't exactly know what to expect. To be honest I just saw it on Craigslist (yes, I found it on Craigslist, I will explain this process in another post) and thought I would apply on a whim. I never imagined actually getting picked.


We are certainly cheap people so we fit the bill for what they wanted, but since I had never actually seen the show, I didn't know about the people who were on it last season and all the crazy stuff they did to save money. I view our family as much more tame savers. 

The things they highlight in the episode are the fact that we dumpster dive, used free and used items for our baby, and the fact that I ride my bike pregnant. My family and I are what you would call dumpster diving coniseours. We are all educated law abiding citizens who just hate paying for things that we can get for free or at least really cheap (therefore we don't feel we fit the "stereotypical dumpster diver"). We live in a college town where things are ripe for the taking every semester when people pack up to leave for bigger and better things. These people often leave large amounts of stuff behind and when they do we are there to take it off their hands. Let me preface by saying we don't do food, but mostly because we live in Texas and that would just be gross (nothing against those that do food by any means). 

I love dumpster diving because I view it as really helping out everybody. We give something that would otherwise take up a landfill a loving home, and we get new stuff for free. Yet, some people turn their noses up to people taking things that other people view as "trash." 

When I found out I was pregnant with Kennedy it was a surprise to say the least. We worked our butts off to buy a home for not only us, but for my mom to have someone to help take care of this new baby. Therefore, there was little left over for her additional physical needs, but beyond that we aren't extravagant people to being with. So it was no problem for me to scour the places we get free stuff from to get most of her stuff. Don't get me wrong, we bought her diapers and all her personal items new but we did so smartly. I bought all her diapers in the 9 months leading up to her birth whenever I saw a sale. I stocked up in advance to avoid spending more money later. 

Lastly, I rode my bike pregnant because it is great exercise but also because it is something I do when I am not pregnant. While some things should change when you are pregnant, others shouldn't. I have been riding my bike since I was in college. I ride my bike because it saves me a great deal of money and keeps me healthy. I see that as a win-win. 

Let me leave you all with one last thought, don't believe everything you see on TV! 

No comments:

Post a Comment