Thursday, October 31, 2013

Homemade Halloween Costumes

My little sister, one of the members of my crazy family!
Since it is Halloween, I thought I would discuss ways to save money on this wonderful occasion. 

First, and foremost, don't buy the hype. Don't get me wrong, Halloween is my favorite holiday, but this a day one day a year in which you will spend money on an entire outfit that you will wear one time. Let's just think on that one for a minute.


Now, I love Halloween and I have dressed up every year as long as I can remember. However, I but used Halloween items or get items the year before. When items are marked down to 75% off and higher I stock up on essentials for the next year. I am not talking about candy obviously, but Costumes, Decorations, and other Holiday non-essentials can be bought and stored for later usage. Additionally you can find some awesome one of a kind items at thrift stores! On top of that, you can always keep an area with little odds and ends that can be used for future costumes.
My hubby & partner in crime, aka Mr. Potato Head

In fact, this years Halloween was 100% homemade. See the picture above, that is my little sister wearing a 100% homemade and working stoplight costume we assembled this year for less than 10 bucks with mostly stuff I had already lying around the house. She managed to win a Halloween costume contest with that costume though. The other picture to my right is my husband in a Halloween Costume the year before last. This Mr. Potato Head costume was also 100% homemade with some fabric I got on clearance at Walmart. It cost about 10 dollars to make and he too won a Halloween costume contest. 

On top of that, I think much more thought goes into a homemade Halloween costume than some cheap store bought one that costs way too much money to begin with. Halloween is supposed to be a time to be creative and show a side of ourselves we otherwise don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment